A Bucket Bath with Sea Salt and Essential Oils
Natural sea salt is rich in minerals. When showering, our skin, through osmotic pressure, absorbs natural mineral salts and expels toxins.
Sea salt bath helps to reduce pain and soreness, relax tense muscles, sooth inflammation, improve circulation and hydrate tissues.
For skin diseases (e.g. eczema) you can apply salt water locally with the help of a spray bottle. Add 2 drops of Tea Tree oil, a powerful antiseptic.
Take a bucket of water. Water should be about 36-37 degrees C (body temperature).
Add a handful of sea salt. Dissolve the salt.
Add 3-5 drops of natural aromatic oil(s) and mix.
Use a dipper to pour water over your body. Simultaneously gently massage the skin with your other hand.
At the end of the procedure you can wash off the remaining salt with fresh water. The fresh water should be cooler that the salt bath. Alternately, if salt does not irritate your skin, after bathing allow your skin to air dry, wear a cotton gown and rest for 20 min.
Salt bath is beneficial in:
- Skin diseases
- Gynecological diseases
- For convalescing patients
- To stimulate the immune system
Salt bath is contraindicated in fever and other conditions. Please consult your physician or other health care professional before attempting to take one.
Essential Oils for Salt Water Bath
What oils to use? It depends upon your personal preference and the emotional effect you want to achieve. Here are some suggestions:
- Soothing, calming bath – Rose, Lavender, Sandalwood, Neroli, Bergamot, Orange, Chamomile.
- Romantic bath – Rose, Jasmine, Ylang Ylang, Patchouli.
- Energizing bath – Rosemary, Eucalyptus, Lemon, Peppermint, Basil.
- Mood uplifting bath – Lemon, Lemon Grass, Tangerine, Tea Tree, Peppermint, Cedar Wood, Eucalyptus, Ginger, Geranium, Bergamot.
- Grounding bath – Patchouli, Cinnamon, Spikenard.
- Spiritually purifying bath – Spikenard, Sage, Sandalwood.
- Spiritually uplifting bath – Frankincense, Myrrh, Lavender.
- Healing bath – Cedar Wood, Juniper Berry, Tea Tree, Sandalwood, Patchouli.